Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why do I love Software Testing?

My Previous post was all about "Things we hate in Testing", While thinking about that post I questioned myself that "If there are such things that we hate in testing than what is that makes me so much passionate towards Testing? or am I telling this only because I am a software tester. I went into my past when I got this question raised in my mind.

My Bachelors Degree (non computers) gave me no idea of what Software Testing is all about. The only thing that I knew (but cannot do) about IT was programing at that time. I learned C, C++ but could not find any job. I joined Testing at Valueminds and from day 1, I was so much passionate towards testing.

Whenever I write some code to automate or find a defect, the only thing I remember is that "I am Testing". I can become a developer (may not be in Microsoft) but the challenges in Testing, the scope to learn new things in testing is huge. There is always something to learn in testing and everyday you here a new thing about testing. One of my friends used to say that "tester should be like a sales man". When he listed the skills required for a Tester, I just got a feeling that a Testers job is more challenging than others. I also recollected some incidents that made me so much passionate towards testing. There are many people who find bugs wherever they go and even list them in their blogs. The most interesting thing I like in testing is to debug an issue. I like if it takes more time to debug and if it is more challenging. I feel myself as owner of the application when I perform adhoc testing. I like the defects that come out in this phase. I feel proud when I catch some bugs before the release which are not covered in the test cases. I have noticed many times that I speak very loud and confident when I talk about Testing. This is what makes me a Test Engineer and I am so much passionate about it.

Happy Testing,
Bhagawati

0 comments: